Saturday, December 4, 2010

Is it justifiable to divide CONFIDENCE on SCALE?

Woke up early, skipped breakfast and then Assembly hall. Sitting in the queue and waiting for some miracle to happen. 
Yes, it was 3rd October 2005, my first debate competition, like a nightmare coming true.

I was against the topic “Women’s role in society”. I was as frail as today in English speaking. At the moment secretary announced my name, I shivered. I had done an elusive exercise over the topic but for the moment it was like I forgot everything I know. My speech wasn’t bad as I had expected. 

All I wanted to share is, I got a new meaning of confidence that day. I had a question in mind, on what basis the Judges decide the winner. My little thought replied “CONFIDENCE”. Then I wondered whether they had a scale of dividing confidence or something. On small exercise I created a scale of size 5. It was like:
  1. Extremely Confident
  2. Very confident
  3. Uncertain
  4. Little confident
  5. No confidence at all

Later I thought whether it is justifiable to divide confidence on scale?

According to Oxford English Dictionary confidence is composed of ‘having strong belief, firm trust, or sure expectation, feeling certain, self-reliant, bold, sure of one self, etc.

Being a mathematical guy I find that above social variables are also dividable  on scale. So it is meaningful to say confidence can also be divided on scale.

Let me know what you guys are thinking.

8 comments:

  1. I have doubt on the line - "I was as frail as today in English speaking." ,
    because on judging what you have written here, your english is very good .

    Now on "CONFIDENCE"..
    I do think it is meaningful to divide it on scale.Anyone would rate their confidence on the given scale of 5.
    Confidence comes with experience ,and increases gradually. As far as extreme confidence is concerned,it involves something more than just experience.
    The topic and your views on it are very good. And yes, "blogging is really very awesome feeling" .

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice thought...well i dont think in practical sense, scaling confidence is apt because either you are confident or nervous.
    But yes scientifically speaking...every degree or level of confidence says it all about you and your body language...
    anyways, you must continue writing blogs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good one, specially I really like the rating of confidence. So, where u find yourself in this rating?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Above comment by Raju totally satisfiy me that Confidence comes with Experience and Practice.
    The line in your blog "I had done an elusive exercise over the topic" shows that you practiced a lot for the event,thus you were confident to give a good performance.
    And the line "My speech wasn’t bad as I had expected." showed that you had more confidence in you after the performance.
    Though,I am not able to comment on the primary question of your blog whether Confidence can be scaled or not, BUT I think,These 2 lines(which I mentioned) were enough to provide you the courage and confidence required to wite this or any other blog.
    And thats what you call improvement in your Confidence scale(if you are able to scale confidence).
    And pls keep on writing. I really enjoyed reading this.
    I am sure your confidence would have shooted up high again after this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @abhishek: after this fantabulous response from visitors. I can say my confidence scale is
    2. very confident
    This is not just because of this blog only, but also from my daily life experience (as responded by Rajesh)

    @Vipul: consider a situation, for your case if you are asked to host in certain event, say cultural event, at the end of the day your confidence will be supercharged twice.
    and therefore mine is obvious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep It Up dude :)
    Lets hope fr a better blog in future from u with apt ending ;)

    ReplyDelete